1.30.2012

"I'm just a mom..."

I couldn't believe how effortlessly those words rolled off my tongue. I had been chatting to someone as our kids played when she asked, "And what do you do?". "Right now, nothing...I'm just a mom", I replied. Then I went on about what I used to do until last April. And it wasn't until later that I started having a conversation with myself about how annoyed I was for giving that reply. Because I *know* the worth of a mother, it can't be measured by a pay stub or salary increase, or a Christmas bonus. I know better.

But lately I've been having a bit of a pity party. There are no invites sent out to this party. No balloons, no cake, and surely no presents. It's a party for one. And at this party I kick myself for being short with my kids, easily frustrated at the end of the day, too tired or too wound up to stop for 5 minutes and enjoy a "moment". Tomorrow will be better, I say. Then tomorrow comes and sometimes it's a wash, rinse, repeat. And I start the party all over again. So many days are good, though. No, not good, GREAT. Awesome, fun, filled with hugs and giggles and tickles and pure joy. But it takes just one bad day to feel like you're failing somehow.

So I'm trying to work on that, and lift myself up, and tell myself it's ok to have a bad day, and tomorrow WILL be better. I'm not failing. I'm human. And I'm a mom: a teacher, coach, cheerleader, nurse, dental assistant, nutritionist, tour guide, secretary, personal driver, event planner, security officer, chef, waiter, creative director, (toy) car mechanic, personal stylist, and more. And I'm still learning - about them, and about myself. I am a mom, and will forever wear that label proudly.

1 comment:

  1. Amen Sista! :). You should be very proud of your titles, you rock them all my friend.

    ReplyDelete