4.07.2011

Authenticity.

Authentic. Real. Genuine.

We like those words. They reassure. They make us feel like whatever X is, X is good. An authentic Van Gogh. Real American Cheese. A Genuine Coach Bag...you know what I mean...

Well it goes for people, too. Some are the real deal. Some are not. And most often than not, you won't know who's who until push comes to shove. Those who can put their own selfish interests aside for a moment to show empathy, offer a hug, a shoulder to cry on, and will call/email to check up on you through the hard times.  And will continue to do so long after the tears stop falling - they are REAL. Those are friends you don't ever want to let go of. You know who you are...I thank you. And I love you.

Those who act (and I emphasize ACT) like they care, they pat you on the back, offer a half-hearted tear, you just know you will never hear from them again. And your footsteps will not leave an imprint on their hearts...because I am not entirely sure they have one.

I want to raise authentic.real.genuine children, who turn into adults who not only care about the world around them, but who stand up to wrong, call BS when they see BS, and who maintain friendships through the good and the bad. I don't know how to teach this. I don't know that it can be taught. So I guess the best I can do is lead by example. Show empathy. Show unselfishness. Show loyalty even when it is not the popular thing to do. Hey, if you're out the change the world, you can't always be comfortable or popular.  I do know that some of the things I have experienced in the past week make me wonder if some people's moral compass is installed properly (or not at all). But I can't change them. That is something they need to work out on their own. In the meantime, I will do what I can to follow the golden rule.

3 comments:

  1. wheres the "Like" option :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL Dana! Great post. And yes, I do believe you can teach it. Hugs to you today. And tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete