5.03.2012

10 O'clock on May 3, 2007.

We were watching My Cousin Vinny (side note: we were watching this movie both times I went into labor), and my water broke. Contractions came on fast and furious. I called my mom, then my OB. And we headed to the hospital. Longest 10 minute ride of my life. Got settled in, the night went on...his heart rate dropped, we had a couple of scares here and there, got threatened with a C-section because this child would not come out. Fast forward to 6:12am on May 4th and our baby boy greeted us, with his umbilical cord clenched tight in his hand. How beautiful he was, perfect in every way. How he cried when Dr. Watson held him for a picture...then calmed down when his daddy took him and started kissing his face and singing to him.

And today, he spent his last day as a 4 year old. We went to the library, where he got his first library card and proudly took out 5 books and 2 DVDs (one for his baby brother). We played in the rain, and ate lunch in bed. We played garbage trucks, and made cupcakes for school, and ate a couple for dinner. And we stayed up a little later than usual. Because he was over the moon excited...about nothing in particular. And at bedtime, we rocked, and talked, and sang...like every other night. But it's so unlike every other night. It's the night before he turns 5.

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for making me a mommy. For teaching me patience, for showing me the fun in everything. Over the past 5 years your tastes, passions, dislikes have changed. But your spunk, curiosity, and determination stay constant. You are empathetic, and loving, and sweet. And funny, and silly, and wild. And as much as I mourn your newborn, baby, toddler, and preschool years, I am excited to join you on this new journey. You will do great things, Matthew. I just know it.

We love you to the moon and the stars.

1 comment:

  1. um, allow ME to get weepy with you. happy almost 5 matthew!

    ReplyDelete